A question I get asked reasonably often is “Do you know any good free FTP programs?” Yes, I do. It is WinSCP.
Some of the cool features are:
- It does what it is designed to do and does it excellently.
- SFTP, SCP & FTP support (ditch FTP and use SFTP!)
- I’ve never seen it crash.
- Transfer resuming on broken and cancelled downloads.
- Supports SSH keys, so you do not need to remember another password.
- Scripting support; schedule your own remote backups or have sane website rollout procedures!
The WinSCP site describes it as “WinSCP is an open source SFTP client and FTP client for Windows. Its main function is the secure file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers basic file manager functionality. It uses Secure Shell (SSH) and supports, in addition to Secure FTP, also legacy SCP protocol.”
All of Anchor’s shared hosting plans support SSH & SFTP connections. If you want to read more about how to use SSH, we have some wiki articles that we prepared earlier. These were targeted to cover dedicated & VPS servers however they are still relevant.
If you manage an important site, rollout scripts can really make your web site updates pain free. I encourage anyone not using rollout scripts to have a look at the scripting capabilities of WinSCP.