SCP (Secure Copy) and SFTP (Secure FTP) allows for the secure transfer of files (as compared to FTP which is not secure). There are a number of different freely available SCP/SFTP clients. SCP/SFTP operates on the SSH protocol.
In order to use SCP/SFTP to upload files to your website you must enable SSH access. This can be done via the control panel if it was not requested at the time of ordering your account.
SCP for Windows users - WinSCP
WinSCP is available for free download from:
1. Open WinSCP using either the desktop shortcut or through the start menu. A screen will appear as pictured below.
2. Enter your details:
- the host name will be your domain name
- the username and password were provided to you by Anchor
- you can leave the Private key file section blank
- Protocol is SFTP (you can also use SCP or FTP)
- keep the Allow SCP fallback box ticked
3. Click Login, and you will see a screen similar to the following:
The file listing on the left is your local computer, the listing on the right is of the files in your hosting account. All your website files must be placed in the public_html directory. It is important that you do not remove any of the files or directories which are initially setup in your hosting account.